Nanette Jo Cooke

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Surgery update



Merv, the hospital chaplain, came by at 11AM and led us in a little prayerful blessing to prepare Nanette for surgery today. JoAnn and I hovered over our little girl for a while after that. Nanette wrapped her fingers around Jo's right pinky while JoAnn rested her left hand like a feather on Nan's curly blond hair. I stood across from JoAnn and held my palm over Nanette's chest. Ever since that first full night, the Wednesday before last, when I just sat there in her presence, I've felt a distinct energy come from her. A healing energy. My intention today was to send her some healing.

I sent her a little message, just in my own mind to hers.

"I'll take your place if you want me to," I thought. "You can slip inside my head, and I'll slip into yours. You can sit here and wait. And then, when your body is repaired, we'll switch back."

I got a response. Maybe it was just my imagination, but it was a response nonetheless. It felt like it came from Nanette, strange as that sounds.

"No dad," she said. "You have your journey, and I have mine."

I felt her wisdom, and I remembered at the OMSI display that one of the wall plaques said that when a female fetus is about 28 weeks old, still in the womb, she has every ovum cell already formed in her body - over a million of them. Only about 400,000 survive till puberty, and maybe 500 or so actually turn into viable ovum. And, of course, only a few become children. When I read that the other day, it struck me that these cells might carry ancient wisdom, passed down from grandmother to mother. When JoAnn was born, Nanette already existed within her, waiting to be completed. The thought kind of freaked me out and I couldn't really get my arms around it, but it still haunts me.

Anyway, I told Nanette that I loved her, and she said "I love you too, dad," and then I had to pull my hand away. I wanted to tell JoAnn, but I couldn't say the words. They stopped up in my throat. I can only write them. Don't ever ask me to tell this part of the story, because I can't. It sounds nutty, but it felt real, and it felt spiritual and that's all that matters to me.

The nurse told us that the prior surgery was over, and that Nanette would probably go down at about 11:30, so we waited.



We're used to waiting. The anesthesiologist, Dr. Finley, showed up at about 1:30PM. Her slender fingers danced over all the pic lines and heparin locks as she made a final check of Nanette's connections. At 1:45PM the nurses pulled the power plugs out of the walls and Ladybug One wheeled off to surgery.

Waiting is what we do here. The sun came out and we waited outside. A nurse came by and gave us a quick update - Nanette's doing well, they've pushed her bowels back into her belly and they've started sewing up the hole. No patch needed.

Cousin Lamar and his wife Tracey, down in Medford, have a friend who's a nurse in the surgery suite, and she ran up and gave us an update too. Dr. Finley seems happy with the way Nanette is handling the surgery. All is going well.

The sun went behind the buildings and a cloud cover moved in, so we waited inside. I took a walk down the hall and got a mocha. The wall of windows outside the NICU bear the names of babies born at Emanuel, etched into the glass, along with some poems and quotes, like "in the moment that a baby is born, the world changes just a little bit." The opposite wall sports poster-sized pictures of grown up NICU graduates with little insets of them at birth, like Mike, 35 weeks, 2520 grams. He was the first ECMO baby, fifteen years ago. My kids glommed onto that one, and Carter kept insisting that every dark-haired teenage guy he saw was Mike. Walking up and down the hall fills me with hope and courage.

At about 4:15 we got a message that Nanette would be back up in ten minutes, but, as you may have guessed by now, hospital time is different than the time we use to plan our TV schedules and business meetings. We understand that, but still, we sat there staring at the empty bay where Ladybug One belonged, our eyes jumping every time someone walked by. Four-thirty turned to four-forty-five. Still no Nanette. At just about five, the air changed and I could feel my heart leap. Maybe it was the quiet squeak of the wheels, or the patter of a dozen feet, or just the way everyone out in the main part of Level 3 stopped to look, but somehow we knew she was back.

Ladybug One returned dragging a whole new array of tubes and contraptions.

Dr. Krishnaswami showed us pictures of Nanette's bowels and spleen before the procedure and then the empty left chest cavity with the sutured diaphragm after. The anesthesiologist, Dr. Finley, got her tucked in with her new meds and the nurses fussed with her respirator and IV lines for an hour and a half. For a 9 day old infant with a severe congenital challenge who just underwent major surgery, she's doing well.

We stayed till the seven o'clock shift change. Angie took off from Florida to be here with us, but she's right in the middle of her exams for her master's degree in nursing, so she's going to sit up with Nanette tonight and I guess they'll work together on finals. I'll get JoAnn tucked in for a good night's rest. God knows, she needs it. The next three or four days will be watching and waiting. Watching for breathing problems. Watching for problems with the bowels and spleen. Watching, watching watching.

And waiting.

8 Comments:

  • At 9:46 PM, April 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Joe & JoAnn,
    Yipee! We were so happy to read the latest blog. Thank you for keeping us updated. Everyone misses Carter at preschool and Teacher Janet is keeping us all updated and posting your blog on preschool door. Nanette is included in all of our daily drop off and pick up conversations. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers. We hope the little Ladybug's recovery is smooth and swift and we look forward to welcoming her home to Walla Walla.
    Blessings to you all....

    Becky and Miss Mary Bella Betts (and family)

     
  • At 10:35 PM, April 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Joe, JoAnn, Katie, and Carter -

    Praise the Lord for this bit of positive news!

    We wish that we were there with you, but in a sense we are. We continue to embrace little Nanette, and all of you, in prayer.

    Please let us know if there is any more that we can do for you. We're looking forward to welcoming all of you home!

    Mark and Lisa . . . Caitlin, Joshua, and Jadon

     
  • At 10:57 PM, April 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    To all of the Cookes,

    I was so excited when I glanced through your blog, as I do every night before bed (or at least every night this week--thank goodness for late-start WASL weeks!) and saw that all was well. I was really hoping that Ladybug One would make it into surgery today, and when I came on and learned that they had indeed gotten everything to work out (even though the hospital times are way off), well, it just made my week. My mom, my sister and I have all been praying for you guys (along with who knows how many others) and it seems to be working. :)

    On a different note, Joe, I read a comment awhile back where someone said you should write a book about your experiences with this; I wholeheartedly agree. You're an excellent writer and this is the sort of story that needs to get out. I know that I, for one, would buy it.

    Lots of prayers for this next week!

    Amelia

     
  • At 12:29 AM, April 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Joe & JoAnn, Thank you so much for sharing most every day what has been going on. Our prayers have continued to be answered with big ones answered today (well guess it is past midnight so yesterday).

    I know she will continue to grow stronger each day. And JoAnn, get rest! you have had major surgery and on top of that lots of stress.

    Best Wishes to each of you,
    Yvonne.

     
  • At 8:17 AM, April 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, thanks Joe, it's 8:15 in the morning and you've ruined my make-up for the day! What a touching story. May God continue to bless each one of you as this saga rages on.


    Take care and love,
    Sheila

     
  • At 10:28 AM, April 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Joe, JoAnn, Katie, Carter, & Nannette : You all are so blessed, I am pleased to hear all went well. You all will be home before you know it. Keep the faith. Sending our Love and Prayers Matt, Jeanna & girls

     
  • At 11:53 AM, April 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    God Bless little Nanette!
    (and her parents, brother, sister, grandparents and friends, doctors and nurses)
    - Marietta

     
  • At 3:57 PM, April 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Joe & JoAnn,
    It sound like your little one is doing well.Prayers do work.Several of my grandchildren have had health problems and it can get pretty scary.The 4th one had breathing problems and had to spend a week in ICU at Dornbecker.If anyone even touched him his pulse would take off and when he breathed you could almost see if backbone.If he hadn't been born in Portland he probably wouldn't have made it.They do so much for these tiny people. It's a miracle isn't it.It's nice to know that God is with you.I wish the best for you and your family.When my daughter had her 7th baby I asked if I could be there.It was such a wonderful & thrilling experience.
    God bless you and your family.
    Marlene Fletcher

     

Post a Comment

<< Home