Nanette Jo Cooke

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Healing

This is a tough passage to write...maybe even harder
to post.

Nanette had kind of a rough day. Her vital stats
weren't as good as they have been. In fact, I was on
edge today too. Maybe reality is settling in a bit.
But I couldn't let it show. JoAnn has enough to worry
about - the last thing she needs is a whimpering
husband. Dads have to be strong. Besides, we don't
have any good excuse to panic or cry or get emotional.

That's why dads don't sit down on the white tile floor
in Fred Meyer and cry while searching for an Easter
card for a little girl that might see "Happy Easter!"
but not "Happy Spring!" or have a crisis when a cold
wind sneaks down his back, whispering "you're not a
good father," while he walks down a sidewalk crowded
with strangers, trying not to think, but all the while
wondering about his new job back in Walla Walla, the
one where he's on commission and where they expect
great things of him, the one that's providing the
health benefits at a great rate, the benefits that are
hopefully paying most of the NICU bills, the bills
that are going to run about a million dollars a month.
Dads can't worry about stuff like that - they just
have to find a way to make it happen. And most of
all, they can't let that little voice of despair sneak
in under their collar and down their spine. Dads must
not get to the point where they stagger into the
hospital chapel and kneel down in front of the pulpit,
groping for some kind of light by staring at an open
bible that simply presents "This is the day which the
LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it."

Dads don't have any excuse to hurt or feel pain. Dads
are logical, calm, cool, collected. They are the base
of the pillar, the rock upon which the family is
built.

Dads have to be strong.

But I do cry, and I do doubt, and I do get the shakes
and I do have attacks of blind anxiety where my
stomach feels like it's stuffed with a lump of clover
honey the size of a baseball.

I hurt because I'm a dad and a husband, and that's the
most important thing to me. No matter what else
happens. I love my kids. I love my wife. I love
all the ups and downs that goes with 'em. Wouldn't
trade any of them for a mountain of gold or a moment
of fame.

Maybe that's what it meant. The passage from Psalm
118. God gave us this day. Right here right now.
This day, with Nanette and JoAnn and Josie and Gordon
and Angie and me and all the rest of the family and
friends and doctors and nurses and its perfect in its
own way. Rejoice and be glad.

Guess it's kind of stupid to philosophize on a web
log, but this is more than just an update for you,
it's a way for me to communicate - a way for me to
heal. Every pulse of pain that my family feels runs
through my body too; I hurt for Nanette, I hurt for
JoAnn, and for Eric and my mom and dad and Gordon and
Josie and Katie and Carter and all the babies up there
in NICU and the only way I can be strong is to write
about it.

So, that's a wrap. This day is over. Tomorrow is
Easter, and the sun will rise (but we probably wont
see it through the rain) and we'll go sit with Nanette
and stare for hours at those little lines playing
across the computer screens above her bed and we'll
take a break and have coffee and maybe laugh a bit
even though it makes JoAnn wince. And I'll glue on my
strong face with a bit of bravado and a lot of love
and then when the day is over, I'll come back here
after JoAnn and Angie are fast asleep and I'll let
myself heal a bit, if that's okay with you.

May peace be with you,
J.

6 Comments:

  • At 12:53 AM, April 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Joe,

    Dads are children of God and God does not expect any more of one child than another. I do not know the anxiety and anguish you and JoAnn are experiencing now. I can only pray for strength for all of you. Last Sunday in closing circle I thanked God for bringing this new life to us with her special wisdom and her joy. I can still say that. For whatever reason she has chosen to make this journey here at this time I believe she brings love and hope and peace for us all. My love to you, JoAnn, Katydid and Hurricane Carter. Know that you all will be with us in spirit and in prayer tomorrow morning and always.

    Love Martie

     
  • At 9:43 AM, April 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Joe,
    I am so glad you shared your thoughts. I am in tears for you and Joann right now, but I am glad that you can share your feelings and let us offer you some strength. Hang in there, little brother. I am so glad you are there for Joann and Nanette.

    Colin and I called the kids yesterday and talked to them briefly at Penny's. (When Penny told Carter that Colin was calling, we could hear him say, "Who is THAT?") ;)

    I think the cellphone number I have for you is your old one, and I forgot to ask Mom or Penny for your new number. But don't worry, I'll get it next time.

     
  • At 12:58 PM, April 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You've got real courage Joe and JoAnn -- the kind that knows fear and despair, but faces it and carries on anyhow. You'll get through this together! We're pulling for you and little Nani. We're headed down to Easter dinner with Gary & Penny and the clan, so we'll get to see Katie and Carter, a small blessing in the midst of all this chaos. Eric continues to do well, finding more words every day. Love you!

     
  • At 1:49 PM, April 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Joe and JoAnn,

    Today in church, Martie read your last post. There wasnt a dry eye in the house. There were only two kleenex boxes, so we passed them around like the offering basket. How we wish we could bring peace and immediate well-being to all of you.

    Pat spoke about the wheel, spokes, and the hub--how our lives in our everyday affairs are the wheel that touches the road. The spokes are the structure of our lives (e.g, spiritual practices, creativity, health, work, relationships, etc. And when one is not in balance with the others, the ride can get pretty bumpy. Of course, the hub is Spirit. She said that a merry-go-around is like a wheel, and closer to the hub, the middle, we are spinning so fast, and things don't feel so out of control. So, when we feel like we're going to be thrown off the merry-go-round, we can always move closer to the center, to Spirit, to the hub.

    It was a beautiful service. April and Matt sang beautifully. The group was larger than usual, with a few new people coming. We missed you guys. You were so much in our thoughts and prayers that it was almost as though you were here.

    If I can help out with anything, please don't hesitate to ask. I love you guys and want you to know how very much your courage and pain is with all of us.

    I pray for you, your family, and the care-givers frequently. I hope it helps to know how much we are all pulling for Nanette and the rest of you.

    Love,
    Trish

     
  • At 8:57 PM, April 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Joe,
    It is good to hear from you. I recall overwhelming days when our son was in the hospital. I walked over to a church nearby and asked permission to play the piano in the small chapel. In the piano bench I found some books with words to country gospel songs. I sang and sang. God was very near.
    Here is a quote. "Love is pressing around us on all sides like air. Cease to resist it and instantly love takes possession." Amy Carmichael
    With prayers,
    EP

     
  • At 11:41 AM, April 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Joe,

    Please know that you all are in our thoughts, our hearts, and our prayers and we plan to keep you there for as long as you need. The pictures are great and we all hold you and your family in our arms as you go through this time.

    Nani looks beautiful and strong as are you and JoAnn. Wish we could be there with you to walk this path beside you instead of online. Keep writing to us and let us all be your stength along with God and let us support you however you need it. We are here for you all. Use us.

    Love,
    Brenda and Dean

     

Post a Comment

<< Home